Saturday






Assignment 1: Make a t-shirt 

No longer constrained by the synthetics that made it "new" or "valuable" by capitalist standards, the t-shirt is free. 

Through a 3-day process, I destroyed the structure of the fabric, broke through the walls of its frame. 

I made it something someone wants to wear.  Something soft.  Comfortable.  Relaxed.  I made it real.

It can be hung proudly from a hanger.  It can be folded without worry of wrinkles.  It is approachable, likable.  It has a life ahead of it because now someone wants to put it on and take it along for the ride, the real ride. 

Because now it is genuine.  Because now it is there to be understood for what it is. 

Through a 3-day process of soaking, churning, spinning and exposing to high heat, I aged the fibers like a fine wine.

Failing to find witty meaning or puny play, I decided, don't.  It's a t shirt and that's just what it is.  Make it be, let it be, what it is meant to be. 

I made it realize its intention.  Forced it, practically. 

Scrubbing through the surface, demanding it reveal its integrity, what makes up this t-shape, this garment that hugs your shoulders so fitting, so comfortably, so silently that you are able to enjoy the ride, the real ride, 
                I made a t shirt. 

Simple to make, impossible to repeat. 

It began as material. Now: content. 

And that, I find, is something worth wearing with jeans.