Tuesday

"People fascinate and enrich you"

If you've ever read your horoscope, no news here. It's just that today I'm feeling extra vulnerable, so you can tell me anything and I'll probably write a blog post about it.

Setting: I'm sitting by myself at this restaurant, sipping on the last of my cold coffee, about to go home and get ready for a friend to come in for the night.  And this old spiritual man who's always around- he hand-crafts everything from wood tables to metal sculptures for my boss- comes by and starts telling me about my lucky numbers for the day. This is nothing new. It's just who he is. Getting your daily lucky numbers is probably not typical for a normal person at a normal job, but I always try to accept the distraction and listen to the man. Partly to be polite, partly because he's so convincing, it's a bit of a brainwash.

So because today is the last day of the year, it is a very telling time for someone to have their numerological oracle read. Naturally, I got my numerological oracle read.

It is by far silliest thing but I'm counting it as a way to ring in the New Year. The old man takes me step-by-step through this sketchy website that makes me click on the forbidden green arrow and downloads this program on my computer. I'm cringing waiting for my computer to electrocute itself and crumble into ashes. But there's no turning back. This man is standing over my shoulder and he's really serious about it. He's not leaving until my destiny arrives on-screen.

"Remember," he says, "you can only do this once in your lifetime. No re-dos."

A 73-page document tells me things that I've never, yet always knew about myself. Some passages make me very excited to be age 38.  Others tell me I'm really in for it for the next few years. But like any good magic, as I'm reading I'm like YES. THAT'S ME. HOW DID IT  KNOW. Even the parts you wouldn't want to admit about yourself, you secretly agree 100%. I'm reading it and reading it and loving every sentence.

I get that it's stupid and generalized and not real or whatever. It's hard not to be skeptical about some probably randomized system "reading your soul." Scam. Creepy, even.

But what if it's not? If anything, it gives you this renewed understanding of yourself. Validates your confusion about life. Reminds you that you have all these good things about you. You're going to struggle and forget you're awesome. But here's your reminder. And scam or not, that's priceless.

Magic? Numbers? Stars? God? Nope. Just the old spiritual man hanging around the restaurant.

I'm believing every word. Can't wait for 38!