Tuesday

Shanlife abroad: Turning your packing nightmares into designer dreams, one pair of Mosley Tribes at a time



Italy essentials. And a song while you look.



I know this post will be irrelevant for people who aren't studying abroad this fall, but where tf else am I supposed to put this stuff.  If you are studying abroad, you already know all the packing tips and hints they tell you, so we won't talk about that. We'll talk about what you're going to need in real life, in real Europe.  Because the most important question that runs through your head every morning -but what should I wear- (pout optional) is going to get a whole lot harder. And because if you think for one second you're going to walk on that plane in your Norts.. think again.

Disclaimer: If you're thinking an InDesign graphic would have been much nicer for this, I know. I don't have it on this laptop so forget it. Anyway this post is just a brain spill/draft of the stuff I'm packing, so. Appreciate the spacing design or die. Each link opens in a new window! 



















Top Shop maxis
The jersey knit maxi skirt leaves all other bottoms behind in both style and comfort. It's like the socially acceptable way to walk out the door with your sheets still wrapped around you. I'm packing at least 3 for travel and emergency outfits. Seriously, you could sit for hours on a train or walk around town all day in one of these and guys wonder why we love em so much.  Now before you leave for the airport, take off the Norts and pair one of these with a white ribbed tank (god I hate the term wife-beater) and look at youuuuuuu, ya jet-setter.



Mosley Tribe Cardens
Had to find some cheapies at Urban Outfitters but I don't think I could set foot in the most fashionable country in the world without some American designer pride.  Oliver People's Mosley Tribes have been on my eye since Mary-Kate and Ashley and these 2012's have recently become everything to me.  Although we maintain a strictly screen-interface relationship. ($245 worth of butterflies and starry eyes going on over here)



The hoodie
It's already paid for itself working in my chilly lab, so naturally --despite it's grungy I-look-hungover-or-like-I-don't-do-laundry sex appeal-- I'm bringing it along for freezing planes and 12-hour studio class days.



Beaded cuff bracelet
The one I have was made by a jewelry artist in my grandma's little surf town on Lake Michigan, so I obviously couldn't find the exact one, but this one from Swell is similar enough.  I didn't like it at first and literally never wore it, but it re-surfaced recently so I gave it a go on my bare, right wrist. Haven't taken it off.  Bringing it as a travel essential because it adds effortless color and accessory to the infamous plain travel wardrobe. And goes with virtually everything.



Chucks
Lab shoes prove sturdy and reliable. Stonewashed because black is for gamers. You know the ones. Who eat potato chips and wear the wrinkly black t shirts that say stuff like "I'm out of bed, what more do you want?" Yes. I knew you knew the ones.



UO SkarGorn tee
I started the summer out with the Daydreamer LA tie-front boyfriend tee, but a summer spent living with one of your best friends means you both end up with half the clothes you started with because the other has the other half. So while this SkarGorn tee doesn't have any intention of tying the knot (haha pun definitely intended) I have every intention of setting her up with those new light-wash Citizens that just came in the mail. Oh look, now my clothes date.

I have a few more nicer tops, jeans, of course, and one of those short, stretchy going-out skirts that you're supposed to wear going out but I've worn more to the pool/beach than I have going out, in the suitcase, but honestly.......this is it.

 Happy Packing homies, hope it's everything you dreamed it'd be!