Friday

Ojai, California and My Morning Jacket

I haven't been here in so long! 

So that was NOT the song i was thinking of. I couldn't listen to it at the time because I didn't bring my headphones and i was in a quiet place. So wrong guess there. 
And I couldn't find the My morning jacket song I wanted. So now you get a lil Coconut Records. 
Does go nicely with the Ojai/west coast theme, i must say. 


I want to share this new artist I found. I mean she's not new but I just found her. Her name's Sandy Wolk, and I can't find out anything about her online, but somehow feel like I know her already so well. Just through her sculpture. This one's called Coming home to myself: I like it because a lot of similar sculptors do this style but make one called "lovers" or "lovers' embrace" or "man and wife." 

This one is just her. Whoever she is. This piece captures what it feels like when you "come home to yourself." That feeling when you're in total acceptance and love with yourself. Not in a narcissistic way. In a gratefulness way. Like in that moment, you're grateful for everything. I love feeling like that.


I also like this one, by Richard Matzkin. He does a lot of stuff with aging and naturalism.


"I have an endless fascination for the human figure; the beauty and grace of its form and the power of its gesture to evoke response. I am interested in the provocation of gesture as it relates to the paradox and contradictions of what it means to be human and the challenge of finding visual forms to hold emotion and the narrative of experience. There is a universal quality in the image of the human figure, part of the thread of humanity that we recognize and makes us feel less alone." -Patricia Post, Santa Barbara Studio Artists

I found these guys at Ojai Studio Artists dot org.