Monday

The kind of tanks you forgot about this summer

Being a summer school student of 3 summers now, I know the drag and inconvenience of getting dressed for class every day.  Especially if you're like me and somehow thought any kind of pre-11 am's were ok to take in the summer.  

Even on the overcast mornings in Chapel Hill, I  you get to class hot, sweaty and probably hungover.  So it makes sense to throw on a loose cotton frat tank when you wake up.  They're better than t shirts because they don't suffocate your man- shoulders, but they're cotton like t-shirts so they're cool in a breatheable kind of way. And also cool in a wow-you-look-seasonally-appropriate-tan-with-that-neon-sports-bra kind of way. *Shout out to Target!* 

See, I get it. It's a perfect top. But even if you really do go to the gym after class every day, like I do, the frat tank only goes so far as far as your Greek letters for your individuality.  And, like Nietzshe says, the ideal human strives for creative individuality. *Shout out to PHIL 230!*  So here are some other versions of the ever-wonderful frat tank. Equally cool (in both ways), loose, and neon-bra strap expose-able.

Strive on, summer smarties! Anyone else want a shout out? 

1. Crop like you're InDesign-ing


















The crop top needs high-waisted bottoms.  And high-waisted bottoms are like the smartest trend right now because they can be 1. Preppy and clean-cut. 2. Rugged and resurrected from old dad jeans. 3. Colorful with either style.  They also make your legs look longer. And according to Cosmo, all women want their legs to look longer.  I'm just kidding I don't actually know if that's true.  Back to the crop top, this one from FP is $98.  But don't freak out yet- you haven't seen the back. 

2. My mom's Brooks Brothers from 1987. 


Collared tanks are acceptable again for some reason.  I'm pretty sure my cousins and I used to make fun of our moms for wearing them with skorts back in the day, but I guess I like 'em all right now.  Maybe it's not that they're all trendy all of a sudden, but that my style's getting older and more mom-like. Ok no, they're trendy all of a sudden. And anything with buttons is cute, and clever and put together at that.  This one with lemons from Nasty Gal is not cotton but there's no arguing how perfect it looks with denim.  
Tip- if you're pissed and wanted cotton, go here. This one decided buttons go in the back and has a different collar, but still looks just as perfect with denim. 



Ah, I see you've figured out that that is not the link to the tank.  And I really hope you weren't in a quiet public space without headphones plugged in.  If you were, sorry. Thanks Shan! No prob. Always here for that awkward episode of the day you need.

Now for something less awkward, how about the scoop of that back line in this tank.  Don't ask me what bra you're supposed to wear with this, because I don't know. But I would say not the normal kind.  Seeing that clasp in the back is too suggestive. And you're not in class to give anyone any ideas.  You might say, how is exposing your entire back not suggestive?!?? To which I would say, it kind of is, but in a less tacky, more trendy kind of way than letting your bra clasp show. Go for a bandeau, or maybe some sticky boobs. Sticky boobs! There's another thing you could tell your dad you need and he wouldn't ask questions. But wear this to class and the person sitting behind you probably will ask questions.  To which you will shrug and say nothing. This shirt is flirty enough without words, and you are not in class to flirt.

OH- get it at Urban Outfitters for 30 bucks

4. J. Crew: Where tying your sweater around your waist looks chic and hip 

Silk ruffle cami

My mom taught me to love J. Crew because she also taught me to dress like I'm loved.  I figured out she was smart about the time she introduced me to designer jeans, so I listened to her. Here's a tank that takes all the indie of pretty tops and all the tailor of adult-wear to make a summer tank perfect.  How easy does this top make it look to throw it on before class with a messy ponytail and still look like a million bucks? Easy. And plus, according to my mom, people will think you're loved.  Even if that's just by your mom.

Congrats on making it to your last week of summer classes without dropping- it's not too late to pull out your style card! As for my fellow summer-lovin' study girls, I'll see you round campus for round 2! *Shout out to that saying that's like Nothin' finer than Carolina in the summer!*