Monday

Taking pictures of strangers and being cool about it

For my second project in this photo class, we have to present 10 portraits of strangers.  That means you have to take about 100 pictures to really get a good 10, and if you've ever tried to talk to 100 strangers in 1 week you'd understand how awkward and creepy this task really is.  I had it easy at the beach over the 4th of July, because everyone's drunk and wanting their picture taken and about my age anyway, so those shots were quick steals.  Then I got home and still needed more pictures, so not really having a plan or any idea how I was going to pull this off, I ventured out to Franklin.  I figured if those gay rights people or save-the-tigers people in t shirts could make conversation with random people, I could, too.   And about half a roll into it, I realized I really actually could.

Sneak into your roommates bedroom while her and her stranger are still sleeping


Here are my secrets:

1. Introduce yourself as a photography student
This provides every explanation needed for why you're in a hair salon with a '93 Nikon around your neck and a diaper-bag-like case overflowing with film canisters over your shoulder.

2. Mention that this person is actually exactly the kind of person you were searching for.
She'll beam at you like she is the chosen one.  He'll think you're hitting on him.  Either way, they'll think they're models and cooperate. Win-win.

3.  Talk.
Wait for them to pose and it will be less awkward, but click away while you talk to them and you'll get way funnier pictures

4. Joke around
Say something like, "hey, guess we're not strangers anymore!" or "Wow, that's profile pic material!"

5. Thank them and leave like you've got somewhere to be
Makes you look more like a busy student rather than a sketchy street artist.  Pull out your iPhone as you walk away -if it's not already a habit- but don't look at the back of your camera like your checking out the pictures you just took because 1. your model stranger might ask to see them, and 2. Op, not a digital camera.

Overall, I had fun with it and met more people than I have Facebook friends.  I actually made Facebook friends.  And the time spent in the photo lab developing everything with my classmates was equally entertaining, getting to see all the shots they got.  My favorites are by this guy in my class whose pictures are all pretty girls shopping in Forever 21.  Suave, man, suave.

As weird as it was, you do end up with some amazing pictures and I have much respect to photographers who do this on a regular basis. That said, I hope I never have to do it again.