Friday

"Art is not an intention, good work is an intention. Art happens when you're lucky."

I love it here [at SACI] and not just for my painting class in the garden or for my late afternoons at the Fuji studio, but I think mostly for the people. It's like everyone here wants the same thing. Not to make art but to find art in what we make. Not to travel, but to explore. To learn other people's passions and be inspired and share this love of life we all have. Being from a liberal arts school, I never got to experience this aspect of "art school." It's such a community.  The people around you are like you without being anything like you.

And that doesn't even just translate to appreciating the David or complaining about expensive supplies. We go out together, we tell locations of hidden grocery stores that sell American brands, we make friends with store owners, we separate at times and find our own adventures but only to commune again to share stories of favorite bartenders or married Canadians or wonder about the missing kid no one's heard from since last night.  It's never the place, it's the people. 

We just finished our first full week of classes and this cool, sunny Friday afternoon has all our windows opened with a breeze dancing through the apartment........

I decided that since this post is already drowning in cheesiness, I'd add that last little part in. Basically, I like my classmates, and I'm high on Friday Happiness. That's not a drug, but it should be. 

Ciao for now, you happy little weekenders.