Sunday

Livin On a Prayer

~another epic karaoke song experience~ 

Pisa and Lucca this weekend were fun/exhausting/cool. Things I got from it:

-see so much art I wouldn't get to see otherwise because one of our professors took us EVERYWHERE as we followed behind like little ducklings. This woman knows everything- early/high renaissance expert is an extreme understatement. She has her PhD from Yale! She knows so much about every little thing, she doesn't even stop to breathe.  It's mentally exhausting, but one of those things you just have to endure and appreciate, like that quote live as if you'll die today, learn as if you'll live forever.  Definitely learned enough for forever.

About humanity, too.  Some of the little anecdotes she told us about random Roman princesses reminded me so much of myself, I'd be like yea girl, I feel you, I'd steal the basket of bread from my dad's royal dinner party for me and my little brothers, too.  Coulda been a -Roman- princesssss. We're really all the same, 1520 or 2012, royal or not.

By 6 pm, the last church was closing but our professor just talked her way into it like, "mmm, no...no you're actually not going to close yet" while we all scooted in. I don't even think she got permission, she just kept talking to the custodian until we were all in and then he couldn't do anything about it. Haha poor guy. Then off we went to explore one more cathedral.

Sometimes I would just look at a crucifix and think I might die if I had to hear about why in this one, he's wearing clothes. He, sorry.  It's not like we went specifically to see all the religious stuff, it just happens to be that all the art in these ancient cities is religious.  It's just what people were inspired by back then. Religion was life, literally.  Someone must have started telling the bad people they'd go to this place called hell if they kept it up. It's a nice idea, really. Just wanting peace and love. Too bad politics got in the way of that one.

So anyway, I think it's important to see the human side of it all, not just the biblical side. But all in all, it was so worth it. I felt like we got a VIP tour of all the ancient treasures of these towns.  Our professor also treated us all to local St. Zita cake at the end of the day, which was heavenly. Ha, that might be a cute pun if I didn't use that word to describe every meal I eat here. 

Ok so that's mostly what I got from it.  Along with a really good reason to go out last night.  Which was being home finally, 14 hours later. Home! In Florence.

Convinced we belong here.