Saturday

Party in the USA

If there's one thing American students studying abroad should sing to a bar of drunk Italians and Australians, it's Miley Cyrus karaoke.

I am so tired and hot laying on my bed and my laptop is making my thighs sweat but I am too tired to turn the fan on. I'm finally at ground level with everything that I needed to do this weekend but not without the feeling like all my muscles are melting inside my body.  So much walking and drinking all day here that it's like going to Disney World every day except to get home, you don't get to fall asleep on the air conditioned bus ride on the way, you have to walk.

Thursday night I had my wallet snatched out of my purse and don't forget that when these kinds of things happen to me, it's always right after I go to the ATM and decide 200 euros, my American license and a debit card are probably all good things to take out with me.  But the next day we went to the bar at which I lost it to see if it was there and they hadn't opened yet but we ended up staying and talking to the English Italian bartender/manager for a while.  We told him when all our college games were so he can stream them live for us. He also said if I come in for breakfast on Sunday he will cook me an omelet! Sometimes telling strangers how much you love eggs is good to do.

Ok so there's this little cafe/bar in our neighborhood called Eby's and the owner is the real-live Einstein you've always wanted to meet. He has a perfect white mustache and stonewashed white hair that looks like you just rubbed it with a balloon and all we've ever heard him say is MANGA when he gives you a shot. He makes all these concoctions you have no idea what you're drinking but no idea what your life was before you tasted it. The roommates shot has become "the banana smiley face" where there are these banana slices he sprinkles with cinnamon and this blue powder then blow torches each one. You dip one side of a thick orange wedge in coffee grounds, the other side in sugar, coffee side down eat the orange, take the shot, eat a banana slice, chase with a shot of this alcoholic smoothie.  It's actually the most wonderful thing in the world.  And that it's just down the street- I'm seriously never leaving.