Thursday

Dating Cal and why you should spend $100 on a bathing suit (top) this summer

If it's summer for you, too, which it probably isn't because I seem to be the only person who had an obscure semester that ended even before the last day of classes, I bet you are like me and the only thing on your mind is:

new bathing suits.  

And figuring out how you're going to date Cal from Timeflies. 

There are so many new styles and trends for bathing suits this season so I'm going to pick out a few of my favorites and tell you why.  This post was inspired by a girl yesterday (LDOC) who wore a wonderfully trendy neon-lace-layered one-piece not only just down the waterslide, but while dancing, standing in line for bbq, playing cornhole, etc.  It was kind of inappropriate because most everyone else was wearing clothes, but she was so confident, I wasn't going to be one to say anything.

I can't ever get enough of bikinis, which is a shame because one-pieces are really pretty cool these days and I think girls who wear them are badass, but to avoid unattractive crotches and posing for pictures kind of hunched over because the neckline stretches too low due to an abnormally long body shape, I'm just going to stick to bikinis for this one.  And not the triangle tops with removable padding from Target. Oh no, my little two-piece princess. We're seniors now. It's time to graduate.  

1. The Zip-Up
 






















BUT WHY? It's like a zip-up sweatshirt, but you can swim in it and not look like a droopy bat.  The full frontal zipper adds some edge to an otherwise fairly conservative top.  You could also  come up with suggestive ways to flirt with guys about what would happen if it got unzipped.

2. The High-Neck























BUT WHY?  This is top boasts trendsetting suave.  I like the crochet material best because it makes the pattern even more interesting, but these tops are going to be sold in all kinds of fabrics and patterns this summer.  And look- a chest full of sun protection!  Bet you knew I was going to say that!  I think what's coolest about this top is it works with big boobs and small boobs- equality at last! Cleavage is totally masked for mysterious coverage, but the side cut leaves just enough exposed.  Make sure you tie it tight in the back though- don't want those girls jumping off the edge. Haha that could either be incredibly embarrassing or actually really hilarous.  You decide.     

3. The Spaghetti Straps 





















BUT WHY? Well for one, what was cooler in 6th grade than wearing spaghetti strap tank top to a slumber party on a Friday night? Not much, besides maybe a jean jacket with some American Girl doll pins.  Now I know we're all college girls here, but the darling yet sexy spaghetti strap tank has lost pretty much lost none of it's luster.  Not to me at least.  The fluttery cut of this top is so flirty it makes me blush, but the support of those straps won't keep you from winning a game of beach volleyball, or chicken fight, or if you're me, a 25 yard freestyle race to the other side of the pool.  Haha man, how attractive.  This must be why I have so many boyfriends.  Anyway, if you didn't already notice the pushup element of this top, and still haven't fallen in love with it, maybe you should check out the fact that it's $58.  I dare you to say no. 

4. The Fringe
























BUT WHY? I feel the same way about this top as I do about puppies.  I want one... I'm pretty sure I need one... and there's probably going to be nothing stopping me from getting one.  The fringe top this season is hotter than your 4th hour at Dayglow, sexier than any guy in a tank and about as gotta-have-it as cowboy boots and a sundress at Carolina.  Find these anywhere- FP, Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, and so many boutiques you really don't even need my help at all.  

Happy Summer to those of you who have it, and best of the best to those of you still studying your smart little brains off.   Beach trip immediately following your last final encouraged.  With or without any of these bathing treasures. 

Sources
Photos 1, 2, 3: Free People
Photo 4: Kiss of Life